Thursday, November 15, 2012

Trip Down South

Last month I visited Nora in Mississippi, where she teaches first graders through Teach For America. It was my first time to the deep South, and the first time I'd seen her since we road tripped from Boston in May. 

We drove down back roads around Oxford, stopping every once in a while to snap or pick wild flowers. Mississippi, for all I've heard about it, is a beautiful place. Rolling fields reminiscent of mid-western landscapes of Iowa by Grant Wood dominate the rural landscape, between cotton fields and helplessly overgrown weeds (and strip malls). 

A memorable spot was Taylor Grocery & Restaurant in Oxford, MS.  Located in a small square, Taylor Grocery is connected to an abandoned building filled with miscellaneous objects. This is my kind of place: unyielding to modern comforts, authentic, and serves killer catfish to boot.





More pictures here.